First page Back Continue Last page Overview Graphics
SITTING ON A GOLDMINE
Gates to the remaining “99%” (or whatever) bacterial diversity opened.
Streptomyces alone has > 1,00,000 secondary metabolites (Watve et al 2001)
If we have obtained several thousand antibiotics, enzymes and other molecules of interest from 1 % bacteria, how much can we obtain from the remaining 99%?