Volume 69, Issue 1
January 1969, pages 1-49
pp 1-14 January 1969
The paper reports the occurrence of eight new species of harpacticoid copepods from the interstitial sands of Waltair coast. These belong to 7 genera. The description and distribution of these forms with reference to the size of the sand grains, depth and tidal levels are given in the paper.
pp 15-19 January 1969
pp 20-28 January 1969
1. A detailed morphological description of the neurosecretory cells in the hermit crab,Diogenes bicristimanus, is given. The eyestalks ofDiogenes contain secretory bodies namely the Z-organs. Each Z-organ is located at some distance from the basement membrane of the compound eye encircling the optic peduncle. The Z-organs show secretory activity which follows that of the moult cycle.
2. The optic ganglia and sinus gland are incorporated within the brain.
3. Three types of neurosecretory cells, designated as A, B and C, are encountered in the central nervous organs other than the eyestalks. They are distinguished by their sizes, the nature of the nuclei, vacuoles and the secretory products in the cytoplasm. All the three cell types occur in the supraoesophageal ganglia, thoracic ganglion and abdominal ganglia while the commissural ganglia possess only A and B cells.
4. The secretory products appear to be discharged through the axons. The direct discharge of secretions into the blood capillaries surrounding the cells is also noticed.
pp 29-35 January 1969
Differential blood cell counts were made onOphicephalus striatus, Ophicephalus punctatus, Clarias magur andHeteropneustes fossilis, airbreathing fishes of freshwaters of India. Erythrocyte counts were made with a Neubauer Hemocytometer. Mature erythrocytes were also measured and their range, mean length and width were obtained in microns for each fish species. The first 100 corpuscles of leucocytic series seen on each slide were counted and listed under the following categories, thrombocytes, large and small lymphocytes and any of the three types of granulocytes namely, eosinophils, neutrophils and basophils. The range and mean percentages for each white corpuscle were calculated for each species. Not a single basophil was found in the whole study. Large lymphocytes were found in each species with the exception ofO. striatus. Differences were observed in the various values for blood cell counts in the four species. Photomicrographs were made forC. magur andO. striatus representing all types of cells.
pp 36-41 January 1969
Leaves ofVinca rosea L. were treated with Indole-3-butyric acid and analysed 2, 4 and 6 days later during the organisation of root initials. At the three periods the total sugar content increased by 5·2, 4·4 and 7·3% of the fresh weight respectively, the sucrose by 5·16, 6·99 and 5·90%, the reducing sugar by −0·25, −0·90 and +1·1%; the total nitrogen by 0·1, 0·65 and −0·05%, the soluble nitrogen by 0·02, 0·15 and 0·06% and the protein nitrogen by 0·08, 0·5 and −0·1% respectively. The percentage titratable acidity increased by 0·35 and 3·61 two and four days after auxin treatment but decreased by 0·23 by the 6th day after treatment. CO2 output increased by 0·92, 0·48 and 3·10% in the auxin-treated leaves over those of the corresponding controls two, four and six days after auxin application respectively. Titratable acidity showed an initial absolute increase two days after auxin treatment with a sharp decline thereafter while controls showed a slight rise followed by a slow decrease.
pp 42-49 January 1969