• Fulltext

       

        Click here to view fulltext PDF


      Permanent link:
      https://www.ias.ac.in/article/fulltext/jgen/099/0063

    • Keywords

       

      UGT1A1 gene; polymorphism; G6PD deficiency; neonatal jaundice; Panamanian

    • Abstract

       

      A relationship between the polymorphism in promoter region of the UGT1A1 gene and the development of jaundice has been demonstrated recently. This polymorphism leads to 30% of normal rate transcription initiation of UGT1A1 gene, thus decreasing the bilirubin glucuronidation. The combination of the G6PD deficiency and polymorphism in neonates and adults may causepronounced hyperbilirubinaemias. The aim of this study was to analyse the variations in the UGT1A1 gene promoter in Panamanians neonates with G6PD deficiency and its association with neonatal jaundice (NJ). We identified five different genotypes of TA repeats, in 17 neonates (42.5%) the normal variant TA6/TA6 and in the other 57.5% of the subjects: TA7/TA7 (12.5%), TA6/TA7 (40%), TA6/TA8 (2.5%) and TA6/TA5 (2.5%). Additionally 75% of the 16 newborns that showed NJ had an abnormal variant in the promotersequence, although, there was no significant difference (P = 0.068). The risk of jaundice in neonates with TA7 variant was thrice higher in subjects than with other alleles (P = 0.093, CI: 0.81–11.67). The TA7 allele frequency in this study (0.325) was consistent with the global frequency and similar to Caucasians. The results proved that there is no significant relationship between promoter polymorphism in UGT1A1 and NJ in G6PD deficient Panamanian newborns. Further studies with a greater number of subjects would determine the exact relationship between marked NJ and UGT1A promoter variations.

    • Author Affiliations

       

      TERESA CHÁVEZ-PEÑA1 ALEJANDRA MARTÍNEZ-CAMBEROS2 3 GLADYS COSSIO-GURROLA1 ELIAKYM ARÁ MBULA-MERAZ4 INDIRA HERRERA-RODRÍGUEZ1 ENRIQUE ROMO-MARTÍNEZ3 NOEMI GARCÍA-MAGALLANES3

      1. Departamento de Genética, Hospital del Nin˜o de Panamá, Avenida Balboa, calle 34, Bella Vista, 0816-00383, Panamá , República de Panama
      2. Posgrado en Ciencias Biomédicas, Facultad de Ciencias Químico Biolo´gicas, Universidad Autónoma de Sinaloa, Av. de las Américas y Universitarios s/n Ciudad Universitaria, 80010 Culiacán, Sinaloa, México
      3. Laboratorio de Biomedicina y Biología Molecular, Ingeniería en Biotecnología, Universidad Polite´cnica de Sinaloa, Carretera municipal libre Mazatlán Higueras Km 3 col. Genaro Estrada, 82199 Mazatlán, Sinaloa, México
      4. Laboratorio de Genética y Biología Molecular, Maestría en Ciencias Biomédicas, Facultad de Ciencias Químico Biológicas, Universidad Autónoma de Sinaloa, Av. de las Américas y Universitarios s/n Ciudad Universitaria, 80010 Culiacán, Sinaloa, México
    • Dates

       
  • Journal of Genetics | News

    • Editorial Note on Continuous Article Publication

      Posted on July 25, 2019

      Click here for Editorial Note on CAP Mode

© 2021-2022 Indian Academy of Sciences, Bengaluru.