The genetics ofArmadillidium vulgare Latr. V. Factors for body colour
1. The woodlouse,Armadillidium vulgare, is polymorphic for body colours.
2. The rarer types of body colour may be due to either dominant or recessive factors. Some types are sex-limited to females.
3. Populations near Cambridge were scored for different colour types. About 12 per cent of the females were of the rarer types.
4. There was evidence in the case of the dominant factor for red body colour that heterozygotes were more viable than homozygotes.
5. Woodlice are eaten by birds, and this could be a cause maintaining the polymorphic structure of populations.
Volume 100, 2021
Continuous Article Publishing mode
Click here for Editorial Note on CAP Mode