• Fulltext


        Click here to view fulltext PDF

      Permanent link:

    • Keywords


      Agrobacterium infection; Camellia sinensis ; leaf micro-morphology; leaf surface chemistry; leaf wetness; tea

    • Abstract


      The host range specificity ofAgrobacterium with five tea cultivars and an unrelated species (Artemisia parviflora) having extreme surface characteristics was evaluated in the present study. The degree ofAgrobacterium infection in the five cultivars of tea was affected by leaf wetness, micro-morphology and surface chemistry. Wettable leaf surfaces of TV1, Upasi-9 andKangra jat showed higher rate (75%) ofAgrobacterium infection compared to Upasi-10 and ST-449, whereas non-wettable leaves ofA. parviflora showed minimum (25%) infection. This indicated that the leaves with glabrous surface having lower 8 (larger surface area covered by water droplet), higher phenol and wax content were more suitable forAgrobacterium infection. Caffeine fraction of tea promotedAgrobacterium infection even in leaves poor in wax (Upasi-10), whereas caffeine-free wax inhibited bothAgrobacterium growth and infection. Thus, study suggests the importance of leaf surface features in influencing theAgrobacterium infection in tea leaf explants. Our study also provides a basis for the screening of a clone/cultivar of a particular species most suitable forAgrobacterium infection the first step inAgrobacterium-mediated genetic transformation.

    • Author Affiliations


      Nitish Kumar1 Subedar Pandey1 Amita Bhattacharya1 Paramvir Singh Ahuja1

      1. Division of Biotechnology, Institute of Himalayan Bioresource Technology, Palampur - 176 061, India
    • Dates

  • Journal of Biosciences | News

      Forthcoming Special issue.

    • To trigger further research on plant mitochondria, the Journal of Biosciences is bringing out a special issue titled "Plant Mitochondria: Properties and Interactions with Other Organelles".

      Plant mitochondria are quite distinct and have unique features, such as a cyanide-insensitive alternate pathway. They also interact with chloroplasts to optimize photosynthetic carbon assimilation.

      Submissions are welcome until 30 July 2023. The contributions can be original articles, short communications, reviews, or mini-reviews on any topic related to plant mitochondria.

      Authors can submit their articles online at https://www.editorialmanager.com/jbsc/default2.aspx

      Posted on April 12, 2023
    • Editorial Note on Continuous Article Publication

      Posted on July 25, 2019

      Click here for Editorial Note on CAP Mode

© 2023-2024 Indian Academy of Sciences, Bengaluru.