Memorandum of Association
Registered on 27 April 1934 under the Societies Registration Act, 1860.
I. The name of the Association shall be `The Indian Academy of Sciences'.
II. The objects of the Academy are:
- To promote the progress and uphold the cause of science, both in pure and applied branches.
- To co-operate with the existing Provincial Academies having similar objects and with others when founded.
- To encourage and publish important researches in the branches of science comprehended by the Academy and to represent internationally the scientific work of India.
- To undertake, control and direct scientific enterprises of all-India significance and to participate in similar international activities.
- To collect, sort out and disseminate information concerning the industrial, economic and labour problems relating to India and other progressive countries.
- To publish books, memoirs, journals, proceedings and transactions relating to scientific researches in pure and applied branches initiated by the Academy and those conducted under the direction of Provincial Academies, the Universities and Government Scientific Institutions.
- To organise and arrange for the meetings of the Congresses, Committees and Conferences for reading and discussing papers submitted to the Academy, advising Government and other bodies on scientific and other matters referred to the Academy and to co-operate with the National Research Council when instituted.
- To secure and administer funds, grants and endowments for the furtherance of scientific research.
- To undertake and execute all other acts which shall assist in and promote the usefulness, aims and purposes of the Academy.
III. The Academy shall not make any profit nor award bonus to any of its members but may pay remuneration to the members of its permanent staff. In addition, it may make awards of prizes and research grants to individuals and organisations for the advancement of scientific knowledge.
IV. Fellows of Academy are entitled to use the letter `FASc' after their names as the recognised abbreviation indicative of their fellowship.