Journal of Genetics: HISTORY
The Journal of Genetics is among the oldest English language journals in genetics and was founded by W. Bateson and R. C. Punnett in 1910, and later edited by J. B. S. Haldane. When Haldane and his wife, Helen Spurway, emigrated to India in 1957, they brought the journal with them. Haldane edited the journal from India until his death in 1964, after which Helen Spurway continued to publish the journal with Madhav Gadgil and H. Sharat Chandra (both of Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore) and Suresh Jayakar (Laboratorio de Genetica Biochimica ed Evoluzionistica, Pavia) as editors. Upon Helen Spurway's death in 1977, the journal was not published for several years (the last issue published by her was Vol. 63 No. 2 of December 1977). In 1985, the Indian Academy of Sciences, Bangalore, resumed publication of the journal with the permission of Lady Naomi Mitchison, Haldane's sister and heir to the Haldane estate. The first issue published by the Indian Academy of Sciences was Vol. 64. No. 1 of July 1985. Since then, the journal continues to be published by the Indian Academy of Sciences. The journal retains its traditional interest in evolutionary research that is of relevance to geneticists, even if this is not explicitly genetical in nature.
Return to Journal homepage