I. The name of the Association shall
be `The Indian Academy of Sciences'.
II. The objects of the Academy are:
1. To promote the progress and uphold the cause of
science, both in pure and applied branches.
2. To co-operate with the existing Provincial Academies
having similar objects and with others when founded.
3. To encourage and publish important researches in
the branches of science comprehended by the Academy and to
represent internationally the scientific work of India.
4. To undertake, control and direct scientific enterprises
of all-India significance and to participate in similar international
5. To collect, sort out and disseminate information
concerning the industrial, economic and labour problems relating
to India and other progressive countries.
6. To publish books, memoirs, journals, proceedings
and transactions relating to scientific researches in pure
and applied branches initiated by the Academy and those conducted
under the direction of Provincial Academies, the Universities
and Government Scientific Institutions.
7. To organise and arrange for the meetings of the
Congresses, Committees and Conferences for reading and discussing
papers submitted to the Academy, advising Government and other
bodies on scientific and other matters referred to the Academy
and to co-operate with the National Research Council when
8. To secure and administer funds, grants and endowments
for the furtherance of scientific research.
9. To undertake and execute all other acts which shall
assist in and promote the usefulness, aims and purposes of
III. The Academy shall not make any profit nor award
bonus to any of its members but may pay remuneration to the
members of its permanent staff. In addition, it may make awards
of prizes and research grants to individuals and organisations
for the advancement of scientific knowledge.
IV. Fellows of Academy are entitled to use the letter
`F.A.Sc.' after their names as the recognised abbreviation
indicative of their fellowship.
*Registered on 27 April 1934 under the Societies Registration