Indian Academy of Sciences
(An Autonomous institution under Department of Science & Technology)
C. V. Raman Avenue
Post Box No. 8005
Bangalore 560 080
To promote and uphold the cause of science(both pure and applied)
Date of Issue: March 2012
1. To encourage and promote the pursuit of excellence in the field of `Science' and to institute, establish Fellowships, Studentships, Scholarships, and other benefactions and to encourage inventions, investigations & research and promote their applications for development of both organized and unorganized sectors of national economy.
2. One of the major activities of the Academy is publication of scientific journals. Eleven journals in diverse disciplines and varying frequencies are published. These are
Special issues on topics of interest are also brought out by most of these journals
3) To offer the Govt. of India, the local Governments and others, the views of scientists in cooperation with other professional bodies, in regard to all matters pertaining to `Science': The Academy organizes scientific meetings in different parts of the country at national/international levels on topics of national importance. The meeting provides opportunities to new Fellows and Associates to present lectures and enable teachers attending the meeting from around the country a greater interaction with Fellows.
4) To organize public lecture: The Indian Academy of Sciences organizes public lecture by eminent visiting scientists every year.
5) Science Education Panel: The Academy had for the last 15 years been undertaking several programmes for improving the state of science education in the country. In 2007, with the other two National Science Academies in the country (Indian National Science Academy, New Delhi and The National Academy of Sciences, India, Allahabad) joining our programme, the activities of the Science Education Panel have now been greatly intensified. Summer Research Fellowships: Over 1300 summer research fellowships of 2-month duration were awarded to students and teachers all over the country in various disciplines to enable them to work with distinguished scientists of the country. Refresher Courses: This is an all India programme to help teachers in all disciplines of science to improve their background knowledge and teaching skills. The duration is two weeks and approximately 30 teachers undergo a rigorous course of lectures, discussions and problem-solving sessions. Lecture Workshops: Academy arranges two or three-day lecture programmes on carefully chosen topics in science at selected college and university departments for local students and teachers. Speakers include Fellows and others from nearby institutions.
6) PANELS ON SCIENTIFIC VALUES AND WOMEN IN SCINENCE:
As part of the Academy initiatives on topics of importance to scientists, two new panels were set up by the Academy - on "Scientific Values" and the other on "Women in Science". The Women in Science panel published a book 'Lilavati's Daughters: The Women Scientists of India', which contains (auto) biographical essays of about 100 Indian women scientists who share the journey of their scientific career.